Nothing rocks a couple more than when one person steps outside of the relationship, through either a sexual or emotional affair. Relationships can and do recover from infidelity. To repair and heal a relationship plagued by infidelity is not easy, but, with commitment and our highly professional infidelity counselling, a marriage can actually be strengthened and enhanced through the process.
Read: Infidelity: Now What?
Decisions to Make: Repair and Improve the Relationship or End it?
A couple must decide whether they want to save the marriage and if there is 1 version of the marriage they both want. Another decision is to seek the help of a marriage counsellor. Couples can attempt to repair and improve their relationship alone, without trained guidance. However, should you choose to engage with our expert counselling services, you can be assured that you will be receiving expertise that fully understand relationships, concepts around marriage, human development, brain functions and deep psychological theory. Our counsellors are fully adept at establishing what went wrong, structural issues and, most importantly, how to progress the relationship to a brighter, wholesome, satisfying future.
Marriage counselling is available for the individual or the couple.
How Counselling can Assist recovering from Cheating in the Relationship
Counselling for cheating spouse issues can seem a daunting prospect – indeed, there are many challenges to overcome in order to see if the relationship can be repaired. Cheating is a sign that something in the relationship between the two people was not working. Infidelity is a choice a person makes to deal with either relationship issues or personal issues. Couples benefit from the help of a professionally trained counsellor to navigate the myriad of immediate short term obstacles and difficult long term decisions. This can be achieved as a couple or as an individual.
Typical issues couples face are: how does trust work and is it possible for it come into the marriage, evaluating choices around punishment and why punishment will lead a poor marital outcome, learning how to deal with your pain resulting from your partner, accepting responsibility for one’s behavior; this includes both the betrayed and the betrayer.
During the healing process of infidelity counselling, you will need to decide if:
- The marriage is worth saving, especially if children are involved. This can be a difficult decision when people are emotionally and spiritually vulnerable, but help professional help to sort out these issues can shorten the time, lessen the pain and ensure a better outcome no matter what decision taken
- Couple counselling can help a couple evaluate the use of punishment on the betrayer and the consequences of implementing punishment type behaviors such as kicking the spouse out of the house, controlling money, phone, internet and continued use of guilt and interrogation of acts as well as other behaviors resulting from punishment. Marriage is a choice that people make and the use of punishment has real consequences that may not give the betrayed the desired outcome he or she wants.
- Overcoming emotions of grief and loss and learning how to effectively deal with the pain in the relationship
- Cheating breaks trust. Professional counselling for cheating spouse relationships can help couples explore how trust actually works, how it is given and the consequences of continuing a relationship where it is lacking.
- Professional counselling provides couples a way to integrate the betrayal into their relationship’s past so that couple can move forward to create a new “normal” of their relationship. For the betrayed struggling to let go of the past, a professional counsellor can help them evaluate the purpose to hang-on to the pain and keep it alive versus learning to process it and let it go.
- Developing more effective communications and conflict resolution skills ensures couples can repair what wasn’t working before the infidelity and make sure they have a future strong in communication
Our expert relationship counsellor will help you repair and improve your relationship. She will partner you on the journey to more effective relationship skills, improved communication, firmer friendship and sexual intimacy. Call us to learn more how counselling can help you deal with this, either individually or as a couple.